Friday, May 31, 2013

Web 2.0 Applications outside the box

Last class we  briefly discussed how one can use web 2.0 tools in assessments or in other creative ways. There are plenty of word generators out there that can arrange text in customized ways or will locate the frequency of words from a URL. Tagcrowd can make clouds of personalized texts that students can incorporate into presentations or brain storming sessions, Wordle is one of my favs and aesthetically pleasing, and finally Tagxedo that I have shown below using my blog's URL.

Tagxedo

Wordle

2 comments:

  1. Diana,

    This is so cool! I've not yet experimented with these programs, but it sounds like fun -- especially with the url feature. I am going to try it now!

    I've seen a teacher use these in the first days of school with Elementary School kids. She had them brainstorm words to describe themselves and then each created one of these word generated designs. I thought that was a good use for them, but I'm sure there are lots more.

    Thanks for the inspiration :)

    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also a big fan of wordle. I like the idea of word generators that create word pictures that students have to guess what the common theme or concept is. I think many of the outcomes from word generators are very beautiful. I don't want to overuse this tool though, so I think I would only use word generators for specific purposes in the classroom. I like the idea that Carmen mentioned about word generators to describe students on the first days of school. I've seen students use word generators to express ideas from novels in literature. I thought it was just an "okay" assignments. It might be an excellent tool for ESL students, but I don't think it should be a replacement for real writing to express ideas about literature.

    ReplyDelete