Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Info graphic: Home-School Communications


For my infograph I wanted to create a visual representation that incorporated what I felt was important for school-home communication. After looking at many infographs, I noticed an array of options. I could create a detailed infograph that was very specific, like the email etiquette example in BB. I liked the infographs that had a more broad and general scope. The infograph I completed is one that would be used in collaboration with a presentation, that would give more detail to the points  in the info graph.

I arranged it with three I's: Inform, Involve, Include.
Inform: consists of incorporating communication between parents about their rights and NC's programs and core curriculum.
Involve: consists of web 2.0 tools to engage parent/teacher/student, as well as communication etiquette and positive feedback.
Include: I wanted to include ways to foster a multicultural environment that can assist the needs of ELLs, since I am in the ESL program at Meredith.

Sources: I used the sources available on blackboard: cyber safety documents, email etiquette documents on BB, FERPA, NC start, as well as a website I found about positive parent/teacher/student involvement.

Piktochart: The program I used was piktochart. It is a very useful tool and I loved that it's FREE! There are several templates to choose from. I didn't like any of the free ones personally, but I was able to use them with some practice. I consider myself "tech savvy" but it took a while to get the hang of the layout and options. It is one of those programs you must play with for a while to get the desired effect. One thing I did love is the ability to change the opacity of objects.

Also, I originally was going to go for a more "less graphics more text" look, but piktochart is a program that supports more visual objects less text. I think for this project it was fine, but for a more detailed text based infograph a different program would be needed.





































Rubric: I used the one on BB, created by Kathy Shock.

1 comment:

  1. Love your infograph! Very colorful and eye catching. I like that you used a variety of sources. I struggled to find sources that I felt were realistic in terms of parent/teacher communications but eventually stumbled upon an informal one (http://www.ldonline.org/article/28021/) that I thought really characterized the communications that need to happen between parents and teachers. The site talked about how these communications used to be highlighted in the special education classrooms, where the need is typically higher. Now, the etiquette is seeping out to regular classrooms. These are certainly things we need to know about before we are dealing with parents on our own!

    ReplyDelete