Friday, May 24, 2013

Asynchronous Web Tools

Asynchronous web tools allows the "learner to use them when time and energy permit"(Bonk, 2009, p.207) and allow a setting where students are not "put on the spot"(Bonk, 2009, p.208). Tools such as voice thread are not in real time, but allow the learner to reflect and place input when time allows and when ready. Many students come from an array of cultures, and this allows some of the pressure that encompasses real time technology and responses.
I have used voice thread before, and like that it allows me to edit my comment or erase and re-record. This decreased the pressure to be right at all time, foresters creativity and  a more sporadic  and involved environment.

Bonk(2009) discusses other asynchronous tools, such as youtube. However I find voice thread to be more geared and directed towards education and class projects, where as youtube is a domain one has to be highly motivated to stay on task and not easily distracted. Youtube and other asynchronous tools can be used effectively in the classroom for students, but many need to be monitored.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that asynchronous communication has many benefits for learners! Since I am an introvert at heart, sometimes I need extra time to think before I respond, so web 2.0 tools suit me well.

    I only discovered a drawback to working asynchronously when my group worked on our Bonk presentation. We wanted to make a video, but it was a sequential task. Since videos have tasks that depend on completing each step in order, we couldn't collaborate asynchronously and still produce a video as a group. Prezi was a much better match for an asynchronous workflow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you. What I would also like to add is that the benefit from being able to post a voice thread opens up another way for learners to express themselves without having to write their answers. I think that this is wonderful for struggling learners to be given another avenue to explore. I also think that voicethread and youtube give you ways to express yourself in a clear manner. You can add pauses and inflection when speaking to change the meaning and expression of what you are trying to get across to the listener! This cannot be done in written communication.

    ReplyDelete